All Nigerian commercial banks recently decreased Naira card foreign transaction limitations to “$20/month.” Many went lower.
Due to the limit, consumers can’t send money abroad or use Naira cards online. The only way around this is to buy a USD Debit Card, fund it, and spend it online and overseas.
Here’s one of the best international money transfer apps. We’ll create a Barter by Flutterwave account and acquire a virtual USD debit card for overseas transactions.
What is Flutterwave’s Barter, and how does it work?
Barter is a mobile and web app built and sponsored by Flutterwave that lets users send and receive money worldwide. Instant, safe, and cheap money transfer.
Your money is in your Barter Wallet once you have an account. Your Barter account lets you,
- Make Barter-to-Barter instant transfer (P2P) (for free)
- Fund your USD/Naira Dollar card
- Receive foreign funds sent from abroad and locally
- Pay bills and utilities e.g. electricity, TV cable, waste, and so on
- Shop online via your Naira/USD virtual card, e.t.c.
How to Get Started, Sign Up, or Register a Barter Account
Barter’s signup is quick and easy. It took 3 minutes. WhatsApp’s OTP makes everything easy, free, and faster.
How to create a Barter account:
- Download the Barter mobile app on your Apple or Android device | Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Open the download app and select Create an Account
- Input your Email and your preferred mobile number (WhatsApp preferably)
- An OTP code will be sent to you via text message or WhatsApp instantly. Copy the code and paste it into the OTP code field.
- Enter your full name as you have it on your BVN
- Choose your password (use a stronger password combination) and submit.
If you registered with a Nigerian phone number, your Barter wallet will be in Naira.
First-time logins require BVN and DOB. After this, WhatsApp will send you another OTP, and you’ll be authenticated.
Finally! Welcome. Logging in requires your email or phone number and password.
How to Create and Use A Barter Virtual USD Dollar Card
Barter virtual cards are digital cards that you can use to make purchases in your own country and abroad. The virtual card is something created by MasterCard.
If you signed up from Nigeria, you don’t need to make a Barter Naira card because one is already made for you. What needs to be made is the USD Dollar Card.
Here’s how to make a Barter USD Virtual Dollar Card in less than 5 minutes:
- Tap Cards
- At the top right corner of your device, select “+ New Card“
- Choose card type (Virtual card)
- Swipe to Choose Virtual Card or Gift Card
- Choose the color of your card and the name you want to be inscribed on it.
- Click on Create
There is a $2 issuing fee. The fee will be taken out of your account in Naira.
How to Send Money to Nigeria Using Barter
Due to a new CBN rule requiring all IMTOs to limit foreign money beneficiaries to USD, cash pick-up is the only alternative for now.
USD Cash Pick-up allows clients to pick up cash from a convenient location nationwide. CBN directives require collecting cash solely in USD.
How do I initiate a USD Cash Pick up a transaction to Nigeria?
Follow these steps to initiate a USD Cash Pick-Up Transfer to Nigeria
- Open your Barter Mobile App
- Click Send Money
- Then, click Send Money Abroad
- Input the amount you want to send
- Select the USD Cash Pick-up option
- Input the Beneficiary details (Recipient’s name, Recipient’s Residential Address, Phone number, and Email Address)
- Select the Pick-Up location of your choice (UBA/Access Bank/Zenith Bank)
- Review transaction summary to ensure the details are correct.
- Input your Transaction Pin to complete the transaction.
Note: The transaction is ready in minutes. Please ensure all information is accurate and matches a valid ID. The sender will receive a Unique Reference Code to share with the recipient. This ensures a recipient’s smooth pickup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add my Barter USD Dollar Card to my Apple Music?
Yes, you can.
To do this, follow the guide below:
- Open your App Store.
- Click on your Profile Icon
- Click on your Apple ID.
- Click on Country/Region, and then click on Change Country or Region.
- Select the United States.
- Enter your card PAN (all the numbers in front), expiration details, and the CVV.
What’s my Barter Dollar Card billing address?
Barter has already put down the address below as your billing address for all transactions. But your shipping address should be the same as where you live. Here is your billing address by default:
Street 1: 333 Fremont Street, Street 2: San Francisco City City: San Francisco State: CA – California Zip Code: 94105 Phone number: +1(857) 5745195
Where can I use my Barter Dollar card?
The Barter USD card can be used on Uber, Google Play, Apple Music, Asos, Udemy, Coursera, AliExpress, Namecheap, Facebook, PayPal, etc.
What is the Barter Dollar card rate today?
Like the rest of us, Barter gets its US Dollars (USD) from the open market. The illicit market affects their rates daily.
Today’s USD card rate is N613 (07 July 2022).
What is the Barter Dollar card limit?
These are Barter’s DAILY USD transfer limits:
- In some regions, transfers to DOM Account: $2,000/day
- Transfers to local bank accounts (in Nigeria): $500/day
- Global Barter transfers (available everywhere): $2,000/day
Where can I NOT use my Barter Dollar card?
Barter cards will not work on any Bitcoin, Binary Option, Trading or Money Transfer websites, Betting websites, and p0rn sites. Barter cards allow merchant payments.
How will my recipient know the funds are available for pick up?
Once the cash is ready for pick-up, Barter will email and text the sender and recipient with directions. Please verify your email and phone number.
What information is required before I can send money via the USD cash pick-up option?
- Recipient Name: Please supply the recipient’s complete legal name and verify it matches their ID.
- Recipient residential address
- Phone number
- Email Address
- Purpose of Transfer in brief
What information is a recipient required to provide for cash pick up?
The recipient will be required to provide the following information at the pick-up location once pick up notification is received:
- Sender’s name
- Reference number/Unique Reference Code
- Valid means of ID [this could be either an International Passport (Nigerian/Foreign), Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC), Bank Verification Number (BVN), Driver’s License & National Identity Management Commission card (NIMC)]
- Relationship with Sender
- Purpose of Transfer (narration)
How can a recipient pick up cash?
Barter notifies cash pick-up receivers via Email/SMS. This notification includes the amount and pick-up bank. Once alerted, the beneficiary can pick up cash as follows:
Note: Recipients do not need to have an account with the bank to pick up cash.
Show the bank the Email/SMS with the Barter token’s reference code.
The recipient must authenticate identity with an international passport, driver’s license, national ID card, permanent voter’s card (PVC), or BVN slip.
Once ID is validated, cash is immediately available.
Note: Recipients must have their phones for easy cash pick-up. To ensure smooth pick-up, recipients should additionally get the Unique Reference Code from the sender.