In case you need to know the different banks in Kenya and everything about them, then you are in the right place.
In this post, we are going to be taking a look at a list of the various banks we have in Kenya.
We will also consider their Address, Phone, Email Address, and other information like assets, account types, loans, and more.
The categorization and classifications of Banks in Kenya are first by ownership followed by nature.
Banks that are classified by ownership can be owned by a Foreigner, an Individual, or a Company.
On the other hand, the Commercial, Microfinance, and other nature of Banks are classified based on their nature.
Based on assets and capitalization of each bank, they are further classified into tiers by the Central Bank of Kenya.
Kenya has a lot of Banks but through the years, some have collapsed due to one issue or the other while some have merged.
In 2016, there were about 44 Banks in Kenya but as of today, that figure has declined.
There are basically 3 Bank Tiers, Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3
Tier 1 Banks in Kenya
Tier 1 Banks in Kenya as you may have guessed are the big banks with huge assets running into billions that cannot easily go down financially and thus are assumed to have a stronger stance than other banks
- Kenya Commercial Bank founded in 1896
- Equity Bank founded in 1984
- Absa Bank founded in 1916
- Standard Chartered Bank founded in 1911
- Cooperative Bank founded in 1872
- Diamond Trust Bank founded in 1945
Tier 2 Banks in Kenya
Tier 2 Banks are the second in line and are medium-sized Banks that have millions in Capitalization or Asset and are bigger than other small banks at the bottom of the ladder.
- Bank of Africa founded in 2004
- Eco Bank founded in 2005
- Family Bank founded in 1984
- NIC Bank founded in 1959
- Stanbic Bank founded in 2007
- Housing Finance Group founded in 1965
- I&M Bank founded in 1974
- National Bank founded in 1968
- Bank of India founded in 1953
- Bank of Baroda founded in 1953
Tier 3 Banks in Kenya
Tier 3 Banks are a smaller set of Banks that are just not big enough to handle certain transactions and are said to be smaller than other tiers.
- African Banking Corporation was founded in 1984
- Paramount Universal Bank founded in 1993
- Jamii Bora Ban founded in 1999
- Consolidated Bank founded in 1989
- Citibank N.A Kenya founded in 1974
- Credit Bank founded in 1986
- Development Bank founded in 1963
- Guardian Bank founded in 1992
- Fidelity Bank founded in 1988
- Transactional Bank founded in 1984
- Giro Commercial Bank founded in 1993
- Oriental Commercial Bank founded in 2002
- Equatorial Bank founded in 1983
- First Community Bank founded in 2007
- Gulf Africa Bank founded in 2006
- Sidian Bank founded in 1985
- Habib Bank AG Zurich founded in 1978
- United Bank of Africa (UBA) founded in 2009
- Middle East Bank founded in 1981
- Habib Bank Ltd. founded in 1946
- Victoria Commercial Bank founded in 1987
- Charterhouse Bank (Under Statutory Management) was founded in 1996.
Out of all the banks in Kenya, the Kenyan Government owns shares in these banks;
- Kenya Commercial Bank
- Housing Finance Bank
- National Bank of Kenya
- CFC Stanbic Bank
- Consolidated Bank
- Development Bank
While the rest of the banks are commercial banks owned and operated by local and international corporations.
Below, we have the list of the top best Banks in Kenya and their contact information.
Top 10 Best Banks in Kenya
1. Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB)
KCB Kenya Limited is the Kenyan arms of the KCB Bank, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, KCB is a licensed commercial Bank in Kenya that provides financial services to Kenyans since 1896.
Address: Nairobi, Kenya
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +254 (20) 2287001, +254 (732) 187001, +254 (711) 087001
Support Page: https://ke.kcbgroup.com/support
2. Co-operative Bank
Co-operative Bank is a commercial bank in Kenya and one of the largest banks in East Africa.
This bank has been serving individuals, small businesses, and large corporations in Kenya since 1965.
Service/Account Types: Children’s Account, Youth Account, Co-operatives, Chamas & Clubs, Insurance, and many more.
Address: Nairobi, Kenya
Email Address: Customerservice@co-opbank.co.ke
Tel: 020-2776000, 0703027000
3. Equity Bank
Equity Bank Kenya is one of the best commercial banks in Kenya headquartered in Nairobi.
Equity bank is a subsidiary of Equity Group Holdings Ltd and was incorporated in 2014.
Address: Nairobi, Kenya
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone: +254 763 063 000
4. Diamond Trust Bank (DTB)
Diamond Trust Bank is an African banking group present in Kenya, Burundi, Tanzania, and Uganda. It is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
Diamond Trust Bank Kenya is the flagship company of the group which is licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya, the central bank, and the national banking regulator in Kenya.
It is also among the largest banks in East Africa.
5. I&M Bank
I&M Bank was first established as a financial services company in 1974 but later became a commercial bank.
It is a subsidiary of I&M Holdings Ltd.
I&M Bank Kenya offers a full range of corporate and retail banking services.
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +254 20 322 1000
Help & Support: https://www.imbank.com/customer-care
6. Standard Chartered Bank
Standard Chartered Bank Kenya was the first foreign bank in Kenya that was established in 1911. It has been operating in Kenya for more than 100 years.
Standard Chartered Bank Kenya is one of the best commercial banks in Kenya.
7. Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank Kenya is one of the leading commercial banks in Kenya that is licensed and regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya.
Address: Find your location
Phone: 0800 720 044, +254203268888
8. Absa Bank Kenya
Formerly known as Barclays Bank and it is a commercial bank in Kenya as well as a subsidiary of South Africa-based Absa Group Ltd.
It is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
9. Housing Finance Group
Housing Finance Group was formerly known as Housing Finance and was established on November 18th, 1965.
Since then, has from a mortgage financier to a provider of integrated property and financial solutions with interest in real estate development, commercial banking, and property finance and insurance.
10. NIC Bank
NIC Bank has been operating since 1959. It is considered to be one of the best commercial banks in Kenya.
Address: NIC House, Masaba Rd. Upperhill, Nairobi Kenya
Phone: +254 (711)041 111/ +254 (732)141 111
Fax: +254 (20) 2888505
Other Top Banks in Kenya
11. Bank of Africa (BOA)
BOA Kenya is a commercial bank that provides top-notch banking services to corporate, SME, and retail clientele.
Bank of Africa started operating in Kenya in July 2004 and now, has over 27 branches nationwide.
Address: BOA House, Karuna Close, Off Waiyaki Way,
Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya.
Phone: 0703058120, 0203275120
Email Address: email@example.com
12. Ecobank Kenya
One of the top commercial banks in Kenya that is licensed by the CBK, the Central Bank, and the national banking regulator.
It is a member of the leading independent pan-African bank Ecobank Transnational Inc.
13. Family Bank
Family bank has been existing since 1984 but fully became a commercial bank in May 2007.
It is regulated by the CBK and also a member of the Deposit Protection Fund (DPF).
Family bank was the first bank to introduce paperless banking via smart card technology that helps their clients to do transactions without having to fill in deposits or withdrawal slips.
Today, there are about 97 Family bank branches across the country.
Phone: +254 (0) 703 095 445 / +254 (0) 703 095 000
14. National Bank of Kenya (NBK)
NBK is a financial services provider headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. National Bank is licensed as a commercial bank, by the CBK, central bank, and, the national banking regulator.
National Bank became a subsidiary of Kenya Commercial Bank Group Plc after it was successfully acquired in September 2019.
15. Bank of India Kenya (BOIK)
BOIK is a commercial bank licensed by the CBK, and the national banking regulator. As of May 2015, it became a medium-sized financial services provider in Kenya with an asset of about US$541 million (KES: 51 billion).
Bank of India Kenya is a member of the Bank of India Group.
Microfinance Banks in Kenya
Aside from the three bank tiers, other popular banks in Kenya are microfinance banks, and below is a list of some of them.
1. Kenyan Women Microfinance Bank – This bank started as a trust fund but today has grown into a fully-flagged microfinance bank. It was licensed in 2010.
2. Faulu Microfinance Bank – One of the most popular microfinance banks in Kenya that opened its doors in 2009 and has grown to become the most trusted microfinance bank in Kenya.
3. Rafiki Microfinance Bank – This microfinance bank got licensed in 2011 and since then, has developed to have over 18 branches nationwide.
4. SMEP Microfinance Bank – A microfinance bank that offers banking services focusing on microfinance banking and SME & Church banking.
5. Daraja Microfinance Bank – It was established in 2015 and got licensed in 2017. It has only one branch.
6. Caritas Microfinance Bank – This is one of the fastest-growing microfinance banks in Kenya.
7. Key Microfinance Bank – It was established in 2010 and was formerly called Remu Microfinance Bank. It is licensed and regulated by the CBK under the Microfinance Act and Regulations (2008)
8. Choice Microfinance Bank – A community-based microfinance bank headquartered in Rongai, Kajiado, County, Kenya. Choice Microfinance bank offers a wide range of microfinance banking and financial services.
9. U & I Microfinance Bank – A licensed microfinance bank that provides services for SMEs and large organizations.
10. Sumac Microfinance Bank – A Kenyan microfinance bank with branches all over the country.
We have been able to list out all the Banks in Kenya, their Phone, Website, Email Address, and other important information about the Banks
If there is any other thing you might want to know about the Banks, Please kindly indicate it in the comment section below